DeSci (Decentralised Science) at Devcon

Hey all!

I’m Joshua, from DeSciWorld. We are a DAO that facilitates the onboarding of researchers and knowledge into web3, building communities and products that scienctists and enthusiasts globally can use.

We are also part of a collective of DeSci groups dedicated to improving participation in onchain researcher, and to bring incentives, tools and funding to those researchers that need it most around the world.

Our collective consists of dozens of members from LATAM, Europe, North America & Canada, Africa and increasingly so, Asia. We have hosted conferences in Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Mexico, Colombia, Denver, Boston, SF, Croatia, Serbia, UK, Korea, Turkey and more!

We are interested in sparking conversation around DeSci in the Devcon Forum. In particular we want to know:

• What do you think of DeSci? Do you have any questions or concerns?
  • What issues do you have with academia and research in your own country / community?
  • What research topics interest you most? Are there any hurdles for you to persue them?
  • Would you like to be involved in a DeSci space at Devcon SEA?

Lastly, if you’re a DeSci builder (or DeSci curious) please reach out! Contact us here, on Telegram @JBate7 or on Twitter @DeSciWorld.

Let’s improve science!

7 Likes

Hi all! My name is Carolina, I’m a biologist from Montevideo, Uruguay. I’m working with @JB87 in DeSciWorld and also in a cetacean conservation NGO in my country. We have been pushing this project with the spirit of helping science overcome structural pain points, mostly due to centralization. As a scientist, I have lived and experienced every pain point science has, from lack of funding, to barriers for accessing information, publication biases, etc. We believe that by building community around science and promoting it a public good, alongside using the web3 stack, we will overcome these issues. It’s open science 2.0 :slight_smile:
Join us!

4 Likes

You can read more here:

4 Likes

Hey all, my name is Jelani and I am neuroimmunologist and one of the other core’s at DeSciWorld. Over the last two years we have hosted many such events around the world. Two major insights that consistently show up are that 1) everyday people are interested in becoming stakeholders in the science that shape their life but do not know where to begin, and 2) scientific interests and needs are regional dependent. We strongly believe DeSci addresses these two considerations by significantly reducing the barrier to entry into science, even for those without a formal scientific background, and allowing everyone to help shape that directly impacts them. It is also an amazing space to meet a tribe of people with shared interest that are open to brainstorming, mentoring, ideating and trying new things.

We are biased, but very much believe that DeSci is a place for everyone and we are looking forward to fostering more discussions around what is the future of scientific innovation at this year’s Devcon.

5 Likes

Adding to Josh’s proposal, my name is Brenda, and I am the co-founder of DeSci LATAM. We are very excited to collaborate, as our goal is not only to promote science in Latin America, but to expand this movement globally.

We believe that DevCon, being the most important event in the ecosystem, should have a space where we can discuss these initiatives and the current challenges facing science.

Some resources from us:
X: x.com

2 Likes

Hello everyone,

My name is Nahuel and I’m part of the DeSci LATAM team. I’m excited about the idea of talking about DeSci during DevCon. I would love to see talks, workshops and other iniciatives focused on DeSci.

I am available to support this initiative and contribute in any way I can.

X: x.com
Telegram: Telegram: Contact @Crypto_Nahue

2 Likes