DIP 31: Allow DIP creation on forum.devcon.org

Feedback and ideas can come from anywhere, including people without Github accounts.

This DIP is to allow creation of DIPs without Github requirement.
The proposal is to allow DIPs to be created in this forum, while following the template on Github.

DIP process may also be too heavy as someone posted Subtraction of overriding speaker slides so quickly

Below is the proposed DIP using the same template as on Github.

DIP: 31
Title: Allow DIP creation on forum.devcon.org
Themes: Meta
Tags: Other
Authors: dco
Resources Required: None
Discussion: DIP 31: Allow DIP creation on forum.devcon.org

-----Summary of Proposal-----
Allow DIP creation on forum.devcon.org, so that people without Github accounts can propose DIPs.

-----Abstract-----
Allow DIP creation on forum.devcon.org, so that people without Github accounts can propose DIPs.
A DIP would be created in DIP Discussion - Devcon Forum using the same template as on Github

-----Motivation & Rationale-----
Feedback and ideas can come from anywhere, including people without Github accounts. This DIP allows an alternative way to propose DIPs without enforcing Github.

-----Implementation-----
Someone creates a DIP using the template DIPs/DIP-0.md at master · efdevcon/DIPs · GitHub and posting it to DIP Discussion - Devcon Forum

-----Operational Requirements & Ownership-----
None immediately.
Some tool in the future could copy/transfer Accepted DIPs here to Github.
There could be a bounty (Gitcoin or other platforms) for development of this tool, if not undertaken by Devcon team.

As this DIP is not (yet?) accepted you still need to do it on github :wink:
Happy to help there - but I personally am against it tbh. - the DEV in DEVCon and DEVConnect stands for DEVeloper. And IMHO we should persist this root even though being open to not (yet?) developers.
Also it is a chance for non-developers to learn to open this door in an easy way. Creating a Github account is easy and might be the start to something great!
Also it forces people to put a little bit of effort and thought in a DIP. This can be a good filter for DIP quality and the willingness of people to put effort behind their idea. An idea is easy - execution can be hard.
But this is just my personal 2 cents - feel free to open this DIP on github - if you face problems - let me know - happy to help there.

Just as an FYI, there might be privacy reasons why folks prefer to keep Devcon forum accounts separate from GitHub accounts, and interim solutions might involve adding some placeholder text around the form for new submissions here to discourage the posting of DIPs here and redirect folks to GitHub.

Agree with you both @Ben and @ligi

It’s possible that many low-quality DIPs could be opened in the forum if it was allowed, but maybe we could have a trial to see if it does lead to spammy / low-quality DIPs? My guess is that it won’t really be a problem because people still have to copy and complete the template (properly). If guess is wrong, the DIP could get revoked.

For the moment, to follow the process if someone or @ligi would like to open this on Github, you can choose to be co-author or not, and I would be grateful. Maybe I did not phrase that gracefully but you get the idea :slight_smile:

I would add that the DEV meaning is clearer, but Devcon is evolving and here’s one opinion about Devcon:

I can help you open the PR on Github - but I will not do it myself or even be co-author as I still do not like the idea. And when you do it - you will see how easy it actually is.

Understand. Will consider whether to link Github or not.

1 Like