DIP - ETH TORCH Devcon7

ETH TORCH / ETH ANTORCHA :unicorn: :fire:

Objective:

Create a symbolic ritual where the last Devcon city/country host brings its culture and passes the Eth values to the new city/country host of Devcon creating links among faraway communities.

Inspiration:

We are inspired on the original Olympics values: Encourage Effort (Excellence), Preserve Human Dignity (Respect) & Develop Harmony (Friendship), unifying them with the Devcon objective of caring about technology impact & the Infinite Garden & Ethos of Ethereum as an equal opportunity technology for coordination and prosperity.

Activity:

This activity will be held ideally on 2 times:

1. Passing the torch

We would like to create a special moment in the opening ceremony or the closing ceremony where one or two representatives of the last Devcon pass the torch vibes to the new one.

In this case will be from Bogotá to Bangkok represented by ETH•CO & ETH PADTHAI community leaders with a short but emotive/inspirational speech immortalized with a physical ETH TORCH specially designed by the talented @0xnats from ETH•CO @ethejecafetero community.

We believe this could become an optional ritual for future Devcon versions promoting union, harmony & prosperity.

2. Caring the torch during Devcon

We will be caring the torch during Devcon in one of the community Hubs where ETH•CO will have presence (on the GM Community Hub and/or the Latinx Empowering Community hub)

In this space we will be delivering a swag in the form of a Pin+Poap + a coffee testing while we will be hosting a co-creation session of the Etherean Latinx community to share our challenges and learnings from the last 2 years since the last Devcon.

Team:

Luis Alejandro Toro @2thefinalfrontier2

Natalia Giraldo @ng-rgb

Fabio Anaya @Fabio

Juan Giraldo @0xj4an

Budget:

We will need to cover:

• Torch design & production.
  • Torch Swag = Pins production + Coffee grains + packaging + POAPs issuing TOTAL $3500 USD
6 Likes

@songyi this is one of the activities that we would like to carry out in the co-creative space

1 Like

This proposal sounds absolutely amazing! :star_struck: I can already imagine the moment vividly.

After Devcon in Bogotá, some members from the community organized a mini after-event called ETH Medellín, where we gathered to relax and celebrate. I remember @Skylar and some other incredible folks joining us, embracing the local culture and traditions.

That’s why I feel it’s so important for us as Colombians to create this ritual. Passing the torch to the Thai community not only symbolizes continuity but also shares our spirit, encouraging them to make their moment special after two years.

I can already imagine this happening again in 2026! :rocket:

2 Likes

I would love to see this proposal come true!

The idea of passing the Torch not only symbolizes unity but also honors the deep connections between diverse communities. It’s a beautiful way to bridge the values of Ethereum with the cultural richness of each Devcon host city. From Bogotá to Bangkok, this gesture embodies the spirit of collaboration, respect, and shared growth that Ethereum stands for. I believe this ritual could inspire future Devcons and further strengthen the bonds that make our global community so special.

2 Likes

Getting to know the real community values of Ethereans has been something I’m glad to discover in events as Devcon & Devconnect :unicorn: :rainbow: with such diversity of cultures feeling in a unified humanity.

An ETH TORCH would be awesome to start this ritual to heal, to remember that we need to respect & value each other to build together, to lighten up the inspiration and spread the world with an abundance mindset.

I consider this energy and connections are something we need to nourish & encourage in all ETH communities as well.

Passing the light is a way of caring, encouragement & trust :unicorn::fire:

3 Likes

Thanks for the proposal!
How can we ensure continuity here? Did you talk to the the thai community if they want to hold the other hand?
How much of the 3500 is the production of the torch?

3 Likes

Thanks for your feedback @ligi

We will be participating as ETHColombia on the GM CommuyHUB and some of our community members have been exchanging with EthPadThai and other SEA communities since the announcement of Devcon7 city host.

A way to encourage continuity will be to give relevance/ visibility to the ritual, that’s why we propose to do it on the open or closing Devcon’s ceremony as a symbolic moment for each host team.
Also animating a space for exchange among EthCommunities on the Community Hubs where the torch will be present and the “passing team” will guard the torch during Devcon.

We don’t expect to “impose” the ritual but mostly leave it as an option for those who identify with. Of course it would be awesome if there is a natural adoption of the communities along the way <3

We can start a formal conversation with the EthPadThai community to be sure there is a reciprocal interest on the ETH TORCH ritual and to continue it for Devcon8 :unicorn::fire:

@0xj4an may you know the handle of some of the EthPadThai members?

3 Likes

I think best way to coordinate is with @songyi don’t know the other handles because they are in X.

But also @ligi you can check at the GM HUB the Torch Initiatove is already included in their list of communities and activities. So I think we are good for now in terms of acceptance by ETH Thai community. We will need to coordinate detail but this can be done if proposal get funded and we will be able to carry out this idea.

I think all the $3,5K are production. At least at my end I am not charging anything for helping on this.

Maybe @ng-rgb can detail a bit the items because idea is not only to have a Big Torch :fire: passing, also want to do between 1.000-2.000 Pins with the torch symbol and also including a QR to mint a commemorative POAP. Also some coffe registrations from Colombia :colombia: I think not sure. But let’s wait @ng-rgb to reply.

4 Likes

Amazing idea! Rituals are important to give sense of belonging and defining cultures. The culture of passing the torch has been recognized as a symbol of unity within the decentralized world of sovereign countries.

I’d love to see this happen.

4 Likes

Hey @ligi here is a first sketch of the torch I’m working on, the main characteristics will be:

1. Easy to transport
  2. Easy assembly
  3. Use of LED light + battery
  4. Easy to repair
  5. Lightweight
  6. Stand alone for exhibition

The cost of production is calculated at $250 USD. The engraving will be defined later but here is a first idea.

1 Like

Rituals are important because they connect people to their culture, mark key transitions, and pass down values and traditions. They help communities stay united and allow individuals to adapt to new roles, providing meaning and continuity.

1 Like