More opportunities for more people to speak

There should be a daily ‘open mic’ room where every morning at 10:00 or every afternoon at 2:00 (for example), anyone who’s brave enough can stand up and speak for five or ten minutes. Along the lines of an un-conference. That person would be responsible to get the word out (organizers wouldn’t manage the speaker’s list), so if no-one showed up to listen, it’s on the person to get them there. I’ve been to four DevCons – all of them were excellent – but it’s pretty much the same list of speakers every year. It’s very difficult to people who aren’t already well known to get to speak. More voices means more chances of hearing new ideas.

3 Likes

It looks like a lightning talk session, but without any agenda or speaker’s list. Who would listen to it?

As a listener I would not spend my time in the room in the hope to hear something interesting - I would either visit some presentation of my interest, talk to my friends or go to decompression room. The devcon time is too compressed and precious to spend it for random talks.

I would prefer to have a room with many small areas (for 5-10 ppl) for ad-hoc micro-presentations, like web3summit did it in the funkhaus berlin in the room with plants.

2 Likes

I’m generally a fan of a kind of “open-mic” or community run areas. I’m exploring options there. :slight_smile:

I would prefer to have a room with many small areas (for 5-10 ppl) for ad-hoc micro-presentations

Exactly this would be cool. :slight_smile:

1 Like

We could then put a “schedule” up outside the room where people would go and write out their topic and we’d have set time slots open every day for people to do this - a photo of the schedule could then be circulated and people would be able to plan their day accordingly

I woul[quote=“Simona-Pop, post:4, topic:79”]
a photo of the schedule could then be circulated and people would be able to plan their day accordingly
[/quote]

There should be a ready conference scheduling app for that. Devcon in Prague had one.
The workflow should allow ad-hoc (re-)scheduling.

Yes. Just very informal. Low pressure. A place for purposeful serendipity. Like perhaps you hear the one thing at the whole conference that changes your life forever–accidentally.

1 Like