Proposed location: Hong Kong
Why is Hong Kong the best place to host Devcon VII? Convince us
The city is modern, very safe, and beautiful, with great venues, weather, and super easy transportation. It’s probably the only city in APAC with the main language still English.
Most of nations can come to Hing Kong without a visa, but in case of visa is necessary the complete application can be done online and the visa is also provisioned electronically.
The government supports crypto-related topics, there is a significant international community.
Answer the following questions to see if your suggested city matches our key criteria to host the next Devcon:
Country and Entry
1. What are the visa restrictions for the country?
Nationals of about 170 countries and territories may visit Hong Kong without a visa, and can stay for periods varying from 7 days to 180 days depending on nationality.
Nationals of the US, Europe, Australia, Canada and New Zealand don’t require a visa to enter Hong Kong for stays of 90 days, 180 days for UK nationals.
Nationals of Albania, Armenia, Cambodia, etc. require a visa to enter Hong Kong.
All visitors to Hong Kong must have a passport that is valid for at least one month to six months (depending on nationality) after the period of their intended stay in Hong Kong.
2. How easy is international access? It’s very easy, there are plenty of flights and the city-airport communication is simply the local metro and buses.
3. What about the safety and political stability of the region?
Very safe and quite stable. COVID measures are fully dropped.
4. How expensive are venue rentals, accommodation, food, and transport?
5. What is the climate during Q3/Q4?
Climate is perfect! Hong Kong’s climate is sub-tropical, tending towards temperate for nearly half the year. During November and December there are pleasant breezes, plenty of sunshine and comfortable temperatures. Many people regard these as the best months of the year. January and February are cloudier, with occasional cold fronts followed by dry northerly winds.
City and Venue
1. How easy is the transportation in the city (between venues, airport, etc.)?
Very easy and cheap: Metro to Airport, metro through all locations, the rich bus network, affordable taxi.
2. Are there modern venues (WiFi/Maneuverability/Catering)?
3. Are there venues with the capacity to host between 5-10k+ people?
Yes. For example Asia World Expo AsiaWorld-Expo - World-class EXPOtainment venue in Hong Kong | AsiaWorld-Expo . There are also others.
4. What are attractions in or around the city, and how close are they to the venue?
Hiking - many hiking paths, boat rides, fishing, museums, a lot of entertainment venues like karaoke, various sports, bars, and restaurants. All sort of activities is available and easy to access.
Ethereum community and Impact
1. How does the Ethereum community look like in this region (e.g.: existing large community/ small but growing rapidly, etc.)?
Not enormously large but growing fast. 香港以太幣社區 Hong Kong Ethereum Community
There is a good network of investment organizations locally
2. What is the potential of Ethereum to have an impact in that region?
The potential is big. With the government recently dropping restrictions on cryptocurrencies it’s the perfect moment to give the region an extra boost. Also the close location to Shenzhen (China) gives extra possibilities and can attract many participants.
3. How is hosting Devcon in that city benefiting the Ethereum ecosystem?
Growing the Chinese ecosystem, promoting the adoption of both enterprise and peer, and simplifying access to investments.
Concerns and Downsides
Every location has its pros and cons. It’s important to also consider the potential downsides.
What are possible risks?
I honestly do not see many cons… Probably the air ticket price. But comparing to other locations Hong Kong is the best connected.
What could be the downsides?
Everyone will love it and the center of Ethereum gravity will move to Hong Kong =)
Please add any extra information you want.