CO2ken — Carbon-neutral Devcon!

I love the idea, especially the focus on highest quality local carbon projects in Colombia! How will you choose those?

1 Like

Hey @franzihei,
Thanks!
That’s exactly the part where we hope the community to play its role.
I have strong ties with Colombia and have reached out to people there who know the carbon space, but it would be great to get input from as many people as possible.
One option would be to set up a DAO which holds the collected funds until after the event and have people vote on the projects they want to support.
What would be your take on this?

After having spent at least a year (unsuccessfully) trying to bridge the Carbon Credit world with the Ethereum community, I would strongly suggest investigating what options there are for traditional conservation credit and other related initiatives in Colombia before looking toward more innovative (and immature, imo) solutions from within the crypto space.

Many, many people have spent their entire careers devising systems of accountability and (partially) decentralized trust re: carbon capture, biodiversity, and social impact proof. I’m sure that there are several potentially large operations that exist within Colombia that would be very eager to work with anyone who knows even a little bit about this fancy new blockchain technology.

Even something as simple as a bulk-purchase smart contract for traditional carbon credits like REDD+ or VCS could be a stepping stone to more sophisticated conservation DAOs later in time.

We don’t need to re-invent the wheel here, and it’s best to remember that there are people out there (in Colombia) who know as much about the real-world issues of conservation as you do about smart contracts, and that knowledge gap goes both ways. Work together!

FWIW I’ll reach out to the people I was working with previously and see if I can find some recommended organizations.

4 Likes

Thanks! Would you be up for a call sharing your experiences? Sounds like you spent some time down the same rabbit hole.
If yes, maybe just write to me at raphael@curvelabs.eu and we can set something up.

1 Like

Yeah, just pinged you!

Another way to lessen the carbon impact of Devcon, although it’d require quite the logistical team: Organize a ship that leaves from Europe to avoid hundreds of crypto people flying!

2 Likes

Hey @gichiba , did you organize that ship yet?

2 Likes

https://www.langsamreisen.de/en/freightertravel/europe-south-america/germany-chile/

Basically direct! :joy:

1 Like

The ship might also solve the transport issue for the equipment for the escape room @gichiba proposed as a DIP :wink:
Just f*** is this more expensive than flying. Incentives are so screwed up here - more ecological travel should be cheaper and not way more expensive …

You pay for the experience!! :sweat_smile:

Very good proposal, the world development process must.

1 Like

Looking forward to reviving this for DevCon in Bogota in October. Anyone still interested?

1 Like

Let’s make it happen! cc @gichiba

I suppose the first thing for ETHseesea to become a reality is to check which ships are going on the most agreeable route. As far as I can tell based on very limited research, this one might be our best option:

https://voyagesencargo.com/lines/eurosal-xl

Leaving from Rotterdam first, then going to London, Hamburgh, Antwerp, and Le Harve, before making the journey across the sea to first the Dominican Republic, and then Cartagena, Colombia!

Getting on at Le Harve is probably the best, because it saves 7 days of back-and-forth in Europe – the total trip time would be about 13 days from France.

It’s not too bad at 130 euro per day, but we might be able to negotiate a better price if there was some up-front interest from community members…

1 Like

Are u talking about going from Europe to Bogota on a boat??

I thought that was the idea here

I think there are two threads here, 1) to make Devcon carbon neutral through carbon offsets and 2) to arrive by boat, in turn reducing carbon footprint. Both sound great to me :smile:

Yes. Going by boat is WAY cool! I’d love to see how that happens and how LONG does that take?!? And then you take a bus from Barranquilla or Cartagena 14+ hrs to Bogota?

Does anyone know if it’s possible to change the name of a DIP Discussion?
If not, I created a new one called “Tokenizing Carbon event at DevCon 2022”

It’s listed here:

So I believe all ideas related to Regen ideas at Devcon should be discussed there now:

DEVCon is coming closer and travel plans are being made.
So who is going on the boat? And do we have numbers actually on how much better it is to go via boat than flying? I recently had someone telling me it is actually worse. My feeling is still it is better - but would really love numbers behind this.