Why is Kenting the best place to host Devcon VII? Convince us
Kenting is a national park beach town located in the southern part of Taiwan. It has a thriving surfing community with lots of bars, hangout spaces, and villas for socializing, Devcon could host a DEFCON style “village-centric” event. It is also a semi-isolated town, which could be a perfect testing ground for web3 socials and web3’s real world use cases.
Answer the following questions to see if your suggested city matches our key criteria to host the next Devcon:
1. What are the visa restrictions for the country?
- Citizens of most countries can easily apply for a visa, eVisa, or visa-exemption program to enter Taiwan. Taiwan will restore all visa application procedures and the border will open to all visitors starting 10/13/2022.
- Visa-exemption: 65 nationals are eligible to enter Taiwan visa-free from 14 to up to 90 days. Taiwan visa-exempt entry program country list 4.
eVisa: Some countries are eligible to apply for eVisa (Refer to p6 in the link).
Taiwan Employment Gold Card 1 is a program that allows highly-skilled foreign talents, including those working in technology, science, economics, and finance, to work and reside in Taiwan for 1-3 years, with possibility for extension! Watch what Tom Schmidt at Dragonfly Venture thinks about the program here 3!
Proposed Location: Taipei City, Taiwan
2. How easy is the international access?
There is no direct international flight to Kenting. Travelers can either fly to Taoyuan International Airport or Kaohsiung International Airport and take public transportations or drive to Kenting from there.
- Here is a list of suggested travel route from Taoyuan International Airport to Kenting by public transportations
- Here is a list of suggested travel route from Kaohsiung International Airport to Kenting by public transportations
3. What about the safety and political stability of the region?
Kenting has low crime rate and the locals are friendly. However, it is also a tourism spot, so streets can get crowded and noisy.
4. How expensive are venue rentals, accommodation, food, and transport?
5. What is the climate during Q3/Q4?
The mean minimum and maximum temperatures over the year.
The average monthly total hours of sunshine over the year
The mean monthly precipitation over the year, including rain, snow, hail etc.
The average number of days each month with rain, snow, hail etc.
The mean monthly relative humidity over the year
1. How easy is the transportation in the city (between venues, airport, etc.)?
Walk, Uber, or by renting a car or a scooter. TODO
2. Are there modern venues (WiFi/Maneuverability/Catering)?
There are two hotels with conference rooms.
Chateau Beach Resort
餐飲宴會-墾丁夏都沙灘酒店-Chateau Beach Resort
會議婚宴 | 墾丁凱撒大飯店 Caesar Park Hotel Kenting｜墾丁度假首選
3. Are there venues with the capacity to host between 5-10k+ people?
Kenting does not have a venue that is capable of hosting 5-10k+ people. However, there are lots of bars, outdoor indoor spaces, and villas to coordinate small to mid size events similar to DEFCON’s villages.
4. What are attractions in or around the city, and how close are they to the venue?
Kenting is a national park beach town with lots of outdoor sceneries and water activities to do.
Here is a list of attractions:
Kenting National Park Attractions - Google My Maps
1. How does the Ethereum community look like in this region (e.g.: existing large community/ small but growing rapidly, etc.)?
2. What is the potential of Ethereum to have an impact in that region?
Kenting could be a testing ground for Web3 socials and real world crypto use cases.
3. How is hosting Devcon in that city benefiting the Ethereum ecosystem?
Same as above, Kenting can be a testing ground for Web3 socials and real world crypto use cases.
Every location has its pros and cons. It’s important to also consider the potential downsides.
What are possible risks?
Traveling to Kenting and events coordination are the possible risks since Kenting is semi-isolated and one will take a while to get to. Kenting does not have a single place that can host 5-10k+ attendees, events will likely be scattered around the town in small to mid size meetup style groups.
What could be the downsides?
Attendees’ dissatisfactions due to long traveling time and scattering event places.
Please add any extra information you want.
I think Kenting is probably better for hosting an ETHDenver style or ETHGlobal hackathon event. The size of Devcon could be a bit of a stretch for the town . I am not a Kenting expert, so feel free to edit this post for better venue and transportation options.