Hosting the agenda and the documents on Swarm

Swarm is a decentralized storage and communication system that was initially incubated by the Ethereum Foundation.

Fair Data Society is an initiative for decentralized self-sovereign data commons.

This DIP has two proposals:

1. To host the website with the agenda of DevCon on Swarm/FairData Society.

The building blocks would be: Fairdrive App, FairOS DFS, Fair Data Protocol, Swarm Bee Node.

1. To use Swarm/FairData Society to share documents and pictures of the events (i.e. presentations, PDFs…)

The building blocks would be: Fairdrive App, FairOS DFS, Fair Data Protocol, Swarm Bee Node.

This would make DevCon’ website and document sharing decentralized and would make DevCon’s digital efforts aligned with its principles and values.

Please note that this is a very high level proposal, and any questions regarding the implementability, the architecture, and the building blocks will be addressed here.

Disclaimer: the author of this DIP (Costanza Gallo) works for the Swarm Association.

26 Likes

This is a great idea! Can you also submit this as a formal DIP here: GitHub - efdevcon/DIPs: The Devcon Improvement Proposal repository ?

3 Likes

As part of this DIP, can we also consider using Swarm/FairData Society, to store videos of talks, panels and workshops at Devcon, e.g. for viewing on Devcon Archive.

4 Likes

Hello :slight_smile: I created the PR on Github https://github.com/efdevcon/DIPs/pull/81 looking forward for your feedback and discussion!

3 Likes

That’s a very nice idea, thank you! Do you know if there is an estimate how much data is it going to be?

Hi @costgallo

We’d really love if some of the Devcon material is stored on Swarm.

The only issue that we see at the moment, is that it seems to take a while to load.

While we need to have fast access and therefore cannot easily give up storing on low latency services, we would like to start replicating some material to store on Swarm and see how it works.
And we can help publicize using Swarm to host some Devcon material.

How’s that sound?

Also, we would be curious to learn more about your tools/building blocks. It could be interesting to store personalized agendas using ‘database-like’ features.

Best,

Rose

1 Like

Hi @Rose,

Thank you for your feedback! It sounds indeed very interesting :slight_smile: H

ow shall we proceed, do you want to have a call so that we can also go in deeper details about our building blocks and discuss on the personalized agendas you mentioned?

Best,

Costanza

Hi @costgallo

Great!

Yes, let’s have a call this week with @ligi and @wslyvh.
What timezone are you in @costgallo?

Best,
Rose

Hi @Rose ,

that sounds great! We are on CET, you? If you want, my email is costanza@ethswarm.org

Best,

Costanza

1 Like

perfect, we’re in CEST.
I scheduled a call for Thursday. You should have an invite. If that doesn’t work, we can reschedule!

3 Likes

Hello, @costgallo I was wondering how is the project going. Happy to also help out in any case, please DM me if needed for a call and a discussion regarding your idea. Best Regards