Proposal to organise a Regens Unite gathering at Devcon

Please give a short description of the topic/cause for your Community Hub:

Regens Unite is about bringing regens together from different backgrounds creating connections, build new relationships to make sure the technologies being developed and discussed at Devcon are connected with real local needs from the regens on the ground (and vice versa, that regens on the ground get to learn about the new coordination technologies that could help them in their mission).

Regens Unite is a no PowerPoint policy during the gathering, only facilitators create a safe and brave space for people to learn, meet and share their experiences, their needs, and their drive from one regen to another.

To make the gathering truly regenerative and community-based, this gathering will be led by our Colombian collaborator JuanKa. RU’s core team will also provide the support and guidance to make the gathering a truly regenerative experience.

For more information about our facilitation intentions in detail: Facilitation Intentions 🦮

For more information on our past gatherings, please visit our website: https://regensunite.earth/

What will you offer to the Devcon attendees?

The opportunity to interact with fellow Regens that have on-the-ground experience in Colombia and around the world whether they are local activists, engineers, community organizers, working on permaculture, REFI, human development, etc.

It’s an opportunity for Devcon attendees to confront ideas with real-world needs or to get inspired to imagine new use cases for web3 to help people on the ground working to regenerate the planet, people, and communities.

We want to have an opportunity for people that have that ground experience to possibly do small workshops throughout our time in the space, and give people a chance to learn new ways of approaching these topics in the web3 world and see where they can help regenerate the planet. It is important to help people become aware of what is possible when you bring web3 and climate change together.

Add a rough outline of your Community Hubs program:

Regens Unite goals for the program:

• Unite pioneers, experimenters, builders, and dreamers
  • Build relationships so that we can all work better together
  • Learn how we can contribute and join the regen movement as individuals, organizations, and institutions
  • Facilitate a space that intends to give participants a direct experience of what regeneration feels like, inside and out.

Rough outline (Program structures and workshops will be defined with Juank) :

8:30 am Breakfast/coffee.

9:30 am Opening ceremony and pods.

11:00 am - 13:00 pm: Workshops / Conversation tables.

13:00 pm to 14:00 - Lunch

14:00 am - 16:00 pm: Workshops / Conversation tables.

16:00 pm: Break and pods

16:00 - 16:30: Plenary closing session

17:00: Drinks

Every hour we offer community onboarding of Impromptu Networking for 15 Minutes

followed by a round of question collection

One particular design constraint for DevCon is the nature of the context that a Regen’s Unite could operate within. On one hand, this is a closed-door, quite exclusive event that actually flies in the face of the inclusive context Regens Unite tends to nurture. Nevertheless, if there is an opportunity to bring Regens together and facilitate interactions that would not otherwise be possible, we’re keen to contribute.

Given that DevCon is surrounded by and is itself a space with a lot of coming and going, how might we invite people into a container of more focus and depth? One possibility could be to host several shorter small group sessions early in the event that has a more drop-in and thus accessible feel. For example inviting people into a space of impromptu networking, with a series of 3 consecutive 1-1 conversations of just 5 minutes in length could offer a low-time investment introduction to the Regen Meme and community to people. With such a format there is an additional opportunity for a “rolling session start” where asynchronous start enables people walking by the opportunity to join every 5 minutes. After 15 minutes each person could be offered a personal decision point: would you like to opt-in for more engagement or not? Where those who wish the invitation to join additional small group interactions. Troika Consulting, where each person in a group of three asks advice once and offers advice twice, as well as Conversation Cafe, which organizes a small group discussion of 3-6 around a topic, could be two quite simple structures that could extend the time commitment by just 30 minutes. Depending on how many people participated more offers could become available. We can imagine a group of skilled facilitators acting as an interaction DJ, after inviting people to share reflections from these smaller conversations in a shared space then remixing the threads of discussions and inviting people to continue or exit the train as it were. Even the most simple and brief conversations could also afford us the opportunity to share our agenda with people and enable a more deliberate opt-in for a longer time commitment later. There is work to be done, in creating the particulars of this agenda, but it’s a constrained design space of doable work.

While I’ve thus far focused mostly on the mechanics of the patterns it is the question or prompt that sparks the interaction that makes the magic. Agnostic of what workform some questions predictably (Re)generate more human connection and interesting discussions between people. For example:

• What advice, counsel or encouragement would you offer the 5-year-old version of yourself? What makes this significant to you?
  • What makes it important for you to be here?
  • What people, relationships, and particular role models positively shaped who you are today? On whose shoulders do you stand?
  • If you were to print a T-shirt for yourself, what would it say? What makes that meaningful for you?
  • What paradoxical yet complementary forces must we face in order to regenerate the planet?
  • Tell a story about a time when you had a positive impact on someone
  • Tell a story about a time when someone gave you more/better than you believed you deserved

This list is in fact infinite, and it’s late

List the people who will organize, oversee and be responsible for the Community Hub:

RU core contributors team locomotives for the project: Shauna Butterly, Jeremy Nathaniel Akers & Sinouhé Monteiro.

Important decisions affecting RU will always be taken with the consent of all the core contributors: Anna-Marie Swan, Bruno Roemers, Jeremy Akers, Leen Schelfhout, Sinouhé Monteiro, Xavier Damman, samaelaross (design), Kris Is.

Local contributor for RU implementation at Devcon Colombia: Juank

The RU team will be looking for more locals to organize the event, to bring different backgrounds to discover Devcon.

Calling all regens from Colombia to reach out to us so that we can make this happen together.

P.S: We are currently finishing a handbook on how to approach Regens Unite Events. This can be used to help guide those in the right direction if they choose to use it.

List the equipment or production needs (see what’s possible in the RFP):

• An adaptable space.

• A space with chairs and possibly a few small tables that we can move around.

• Whiteboards, whiteboard markers (or big sheets stands).

• Plants and lighting - recreate the safe and warm environment we had in Brussels for Regens Unite. We want this space to be inviting and for those that are not sure what Regens Unite is, to come, feel welcome and ask questions.

• A TV, banners & goodies (stickers, pins) to show the logo/branding of Regens Unite.

Please look at the picture of our past events to have an example of the vibe we create:

3 Likes

Hi @Sinouhe1 :wave:

Thank you so much for handing in this proposal! It sounds wonderful. :slight_smile:

A couple of housekeeping things:
Please make sure you have read and understood the rough framework that we operate in for Community Hubs which comes with a few responsibilities and limitations: RFP-5: Community Hubs

Especially regarding your production needs (" An adaptable space. A space with chairs and possibly a few small tables that we can move around.") I just want to manage your expectations: The Devcon venue only has limited space available for all the amazing things we are planning. Each Community Hub will have roughly a size of 24m². Hence, there will be not so many options to put tables etc. For an idea how it could look like, please have a look at the renderings here in the Community Hub section: Meet Continuous Devcon — Devcon Bogotá, Oct 11 → 14

I think it is still do-able, but depending on the content you may want to make your sessions smaller or more adjustable (like mini-workshops).

The photos of your last event look lovely!

Lastly, I’m not sure if you saw the ReFi Amazonia Hub proposal here? → ReFi community hub - ReFi Amazonia - #6 by diegomazo89

Might it make sense for the two of you to collaborate / potentially explore sharing a space?

2 Likes

Hello @franzihei,

I hope you’re doing fabulously well :smile:

I have a couple of questions to ask you in regards to the space (for now, perhaps RU team might have more questions in the near future :stuck_out_tongue: )

1. Do you have an idea of how many people fit in each section of the space (I see sofas and two-seater chairs)?

2. How many facilitation sessions (workshops) can take place at the same time, I see 3 sections in the picture you sent me.

In regards to Refi Amazonia, it would be very nice to meet and collaborate together with them. What do you think would be the best way for me to contact them? By direct messaging or directly on their forum?

ttyl,

Sinouhé

Hi @Sinouhe1 :slight_smile:

1. Each space will be roughly 24m² big, so we are estimating 12 people can fit comfortably, more people would be possible only when standing.
  2. Currently, we are planning the space with 6 Community Hubs in total (if you look closely at the render you can see that there is another row with 3 spaces directly behind the first row)

I’m currently working with production on figuring all the details out and will keep you posted if there are updates!

In regards to Refi Amazonia, it would be very nice to meet and collaborate together with them. What do you think would be the best way for me to contact them? By direct messaging or directly on their forum?

Yes, I would just recommend you guys to get in touch because it is very unlikely that we will have two similar spaces and it might make sense for you to collaborate. :slight_smile: Posting in their forum post might be a good first step!

1 Like

I would love a Regens Unite space inside Devcon! (shot out to Jeremy and JuanK) :heart_on_fire:

Met @diegomazo89, one of the proposers of ReFi Amazonia during ETH Barcelona, so happy to bridge with them (yet, posting in their proposal seems like the best move or waiting if he replies here).

There are also smaller ReFi Spring/DAO and independent regen groups in LATAM that should be represented.

In my opinion, having the umbrella of professional facilitation of Regens Unite (thinking liberating structures) involving regional groups seems like the best path forward.

2 Likes

Hi @Sinouhe1 ! let’s join forces! One Regen space for all is the goal! Happy to have a chat to combine the proposals :slight_smile: @dmazorosete is my telegram and my twitter

3 Likes

Hey Knobs, loving the support, can you text me on Twitter: @sinomont

We have set up a “Bogota” category with different channels, I would love to invite you and start building it up together !

1 Like

Diego, Let’s do this, I will contact you through Twitter!

Hello Franzhi,

Hope you’re doing fabulously well!

First of all, thank you for introducing Refi Amazonia, we have decided to join forces!

I have a couple of questions to ask you in regard to the way we should proceed with the next steps:

1. How does one know whether “our community hub” is accepted or rejected?

2. If accepted, where do we iterate, and add info as we build the program for the RUBogotaDevcon gathering? Do you have any info on this?

For instance, I’d like to update the proposal, now that we will work with Amazonia, I’d like to add them to the content of the proposal.

Have a nice day,

Sinouhé Monteiro

2 Likes

Just followed you. Great to see this coordination happening and happy to continue supporting it!

2 Likes

Hey all! Super happy to hear you are collaborating now. :slight_smile:

General update on the process: The RFP is open until end of this week. Shortly after this (beginning of next week), we will share which Community Hub proposals got accepted and will work with those accepted teams to fine-tune the proposals / hubs.

1 Like

chairs with wheels, yeah like boring office charis, are amazingly adaptable

2 Likes

Hello Franzihei, thank you for letting me know :slight_smile:

Regens Unite Community Hub Bogotá

Devcon 6 needs a space to activate and celebrate Regenerative actions and culture.

The whole community is very excited to gather in Bogotá to experience more regenerative initiatives together. We are building an open space to discuss, build and defy current standards to increase our positive impact on the world. The expected impact has a dual dimension: Local (Bogotá and Colombia) + global.

The Regen community hub is open to everyone, inclusivity is at the core of our actions.

Every single member of the Regen community will play a facilitator role to contribute and educate Devcon attendees about our vision and principles.

Our community hub will be led by the following principles:

• 100% circular & regenerative. No waste permitted (tangible or intangible).
  • Everyday impact. You need to leave the hub better than when you arrived (building new relationships, sharing knowledge, recycling, helping others…)
  • Giving before getting. Focus on how you can support other regens.
  • Rethinking new forms of capital in the community.

We envision our hub as the ideal place to bring together local Colombian communities and international attendees connected by the Regen ecosystem.

Colombian local communities are fighting daily to have a better country and community leaders around Colombia who are committed to sustainable development goals. Above all, those who are speaking up in their territories against violence (social and environmental) need to be supported and educated about Web3 which can become the means to amplify their impact.

International attendees who understand Web3 technology and its potential but are not aware of the regenerative impact. This represents an opportunity for them to confront ideas with real-world needs or to get inspired to imagine new use cases for web3 to help people on the ground working to regenerate the planet, people, and communities.

So now let’s dig deeper at the core ideas behind Regens Unite gatherings:

Regens Unite is about bringing regens from different backgrounds creating connections, and building new relationships to make sure the technologies being developed and discussed at Devcon are connected with real local needs on Colombian ground (and vice versa, that regens on the ground get to learn about the new coordination technologies that could help them in their local mission).

To create meaningful connections, Regens Unite has a no PowerPoint policy. During the gathering, only facilitators create a safe and brave space for people to learn, meet and share their experiences, their needs, and their drive from one regen to another. At the Devcon event, we want to bring local regens from different perspectives (NGOs, climate movement & citizen initiatives) to connect and learn from the possible impact Ethereum can have on those projects through facilitation.

To make the gathering truly regenerative and community-based, this gathering will be led by our local Colombian Collaborators: Diego Mazo, Luis Roa, Fabián Pulido, and Estefania Granados (Bogota)

Regen’s Unite regular team leading and supporting the project at Devcon has extensive experience working in Colombia and in other countries in Latin America.

The RUs regulars working along the Regens Unite Colombian collaborators will be: Sinouhé Monteiro, Samy Lane & Guil is.

The RU regulars are also supporting the initiative and will constantly support the facilitation, design, and implementation of the RU handbook among them:

Xavier Damman, Jeremy Akers, Leen Schelfhou, Anna-Marie Swan, Bruno Roemers & Shauna Butterly.

Our gathering is also being supported by local leaders & members of ETHColombia & GravityDAO Juan Carlos Bell Llinás.

We will offer Devcon attendees the opportunity to interact with local Regens that have on-the-ground experience in Colombia whether they are local activists, engineers, community organizers, or working on permaculture, REFI, and human development.

We want to have an opportunity for people with ground experience to possibly do small workshops throughout our time in the space, and give people a chance to learn new ways of approaching these topics in the web3 world and see where they can help regenerate the planet. It is important to help people become aware of what is possible when you bring web3 and regeneration together.

The Regens Unite goals for the Devcon community program are: To Unite pioneers, experimenters, builders, and dreamers Build relationships so that we can all work better together Learn how we can contribute and join the regen movement as individuals, organizations, and institutions Facilitate a space that intends to give participants a direct experience of what regeneration feels like, inside and out.

Rough outline (Program structures and workshops will be defined with Diego Mazo and the team as well as the Devcon organizers) :

8:30 am Breakfast/coffee.

9:30 am Opening ceremony and pods.

11:00 am - 13:00 pm: Workshops / Conversation tables.

13:00 pm to 14:00 - Lunch

14:00 am - 15:30 pm: Workshops / Conversation tables.

15.30 - 16.00 pm - Break and pods

16:00 - 16:30: Plenary closing session

17:00: Drinks Every hour we offer community onboarding of Impromptu

Networking for 15 Minutes followed by a round of question collection.

For the equipment to create this space the needs are as follows:

• An adaptable space
  • A space with chairs.
  • Whiteboards, whiteboard markers (or big sheets stands).
  • Plants and lighting - recreate the safe and warm environment we had in Brussels for Regens Unite.
  • We want this space to be inviting and for those that are not sure what Regens Unite is, to come, feel welcome and ask questions.
  • A TV, banners & goodies (stickers, pins) to show the logo/branding of Regens Unite.

For more information about Regens Unite DAO:

Discord: Regens Unite

Twitter: https://twitter.com/regensunite

Pictures of past events.

Hello, @franzihei I’ve updated our proposal with a reply, I can’t edit the main one, so I added the new proposal with a reply, is that ok? Or should I do it differently? Thanks for letting me know :slight_smile:

hi ReFi friends,

I’m the originator of the Climate Impact Community Hub proposal & wanted to reach out across our fellow climate/public goods/refi proposals to see if y’all wanted to combine forces for a super successful ReFi hub.

Messaging each refi-related post separately but with this message as I’m not sure the best way to tag everyone so apologies for any repetition – please have a look at our post and let me know if you’d like to collaborate!

We (Toucan, Celo, Filecoin Green, Astral, Hypen and Discarbon) would love to see how we can work together for the best possible regenerative space. Please message me on Telegram @ontologymachine or email beth@toucan.earth, or even better reply here, so we can look into getting that ball rolling if you’re up for it. Can’t wait to hopefully meet y’all in DevCon, and online before if you’re down to collab <3

Cheers,
Beth

1 Like

Hello Beth,

Of course, we’d be happy to collaborate together with you, Would you like to set up a call to meet?

Have a nice day,

Sinouhé

1 Like

Awesome, this sounds great! I would be available Monday between 10 am - noon CET if a time in there would work for you?

Hi Sinouhe, pinging on this again in case we’re able to connect ahead of me going offline for a week! Are you around today or tomorrow morning? If so please give me a shout on telegram @ontologymachine :v:

Hello @beth_toucan, let’s organize today afternoon, what slots do you have available?

I am keeping @diegomazo89 in the loop!

Best,

Sino

1 Like