Latinx Empowring (Community Hub)

Hello, we would like our proposal, La Antorcha ETH ( The eth torch initiative ), to be the initiative for the Latam Community Hub at Devcon 7. Having the experience of bringing a typical Colombian “chiva” that became the Latam Community Hub at Devcon 6, we want to once again bring something representative of our cultures. This will symbolize our role as the previous hosts, and we want to offer it at Devcon 7 (Bangkok) as a handover for the next host city. Colombian coffee will serve as a connection bridge between participants, facilitating networking and cultural exchange.

This coffee is not only a symbol of our Latin American culture but also an homage to Southeast Asian cultures that appreciate and enjoy coffee as part of their gastronomic heritage.

Community Hub Objective

Our goal is to unite all Latam communities under one space, where they can share their experiences, collaborate on new projects, and strengthen the bonds created at Devcon Bogotá. This Community Hub will serve as a meeting point for knowledge exchange and opportunities, emphasizing the integration and global representation of Latam within the Ethereum ecosystem.

The Community Hub will highlight an educational platform that showcases how Ethereum has impacted and continues to transform our communities in Latam.

What It Will Offer to Attendees

Colombian Coffee as a Cultural Symbol: This element will serve as a connection point for all participants, inviting them to join conversations and learn more about our communities.

Collaborative Space: Instead of a single community space, we want all Latam communities to contribute with activities, roundtables, and workshops that reflect the region’s diversity.

Educational Materials and Interactive Exhibits: Each community will have the opportunity to showcase how Ethereum is changing their local environment through visual and educational content.

Collaborative Construction

This Community Hub will be built together with the Latam communities. We want all to actively participate in planning and creating this space to reflect the multiple voices and projects of the region. From Colombia, we will bring the cultural symbol of La Antorcha ETH, but each community will add its unique touch, making this space a true reflection of all of Latam.

Tentative Hub Program

Day 1: Welcome and Networking
Colombian coffee as a meeting point.
Presentation of the different Latam communities.

Day 2: Challenges and Opportunities in Latam
Roundtable discussions on the technological challenges in the region.

Day 3: Collaboration and Innovation
Interactive workshops on blockchain education and technology in Latam.

Day 4: Looking Towards the Future
Discussions on how Latam can continue to grow within the Ethereum ecosystem. Networking and closing with new opportunities for the region.

Key Roles

Ethereum Colombia as the lead organizer.
Latam Communities contributing with content, workshops, and activities.

Devcon Support requested for operational and logistical facilitation of the Community Hub.

Financing and Collaboration

We request Devcon’s support to facilitate the Community Hub’s operation and logistics. This will be a collaborative construction where each community will contribute to the content and activities of the space

15 Likes

I like so much this proposal. I have two simple reasons: 1. I love my beautiful country Colombia :yellow_heart: :yellow_heart: :blue_heart: :heart: and his culture and coffee and in the other hand 2. I love Ethereum because is more than a network is a real posibility to build together a better world. :diamond_shape_with_a_dot_inside:

7 Likes

Hi there! Thank you so much for putting together this proposal.

I want to bring to the organizing team’s attention a recent Community Hub proposal: SEA Community Hub Proposal : GM (Global Majority) Hub. Since they are focused on Ethereum adoption, and bringing opportunities to builders from Asia, Africa, and Latin America, I foresee overlap in these two hubs. Would be great to see how you can collaborate together on this.

General Update on the Process

• The RFP is open until the end of August.
  • Shortly after that (early September), we’ll announce which Community Hub proposals have been accepted and will work with those teams to fine-tune their proposals and ensure their production needs are met.

We’ll keep you updated if we have any further questions.

Thanks again!

5 Likes

Glad to see the Latinamerican vibes in South East Asia! Thanks for leading this proposal @2thefinalfrontier2 @AndresForigua.eth

The latinx Ethereans community has been growing so fast after Devcon 6 and now we’re more than 20 communities with so much diversity and takeaways from each reagion that it would be awesome to find a common place at DEVCON to gather feedback and learn from each other experiences!

I’ll be glad to support this proposal as an active member of @ethejecafetero

This is a great opportunity to share experiences among latin american communities and strenght the network between us in such a unique environment as it is Devcon and the SEA community.

Thanks @Shyam_Sridhar for bringing the SEA community Hub proposal to the conversation this will open a unique opportunity to start building the bridge and closing the gap between faraway communities that no other event allows!

I hope this Latinx Empowering (Community Hub) Proposal will have it’s place at Devcon 7 SEA and hopefully I’ll see you guys there!

6 Likes

Thank you to everyone involved in this initiative. As global citizens, it’s crucial to come together as a community to learn from the projects being developed around the world. This community hub will be invaluable in supporting the various initiatives being built on Ethereum.
I appreciate your focus on Latin America, and you have my full support in bringing this vision to life.

7 Likes

Hello @Shyam_Sridhar thanks for bringing the attention over the GM HUB but as far in my understanding this Community HUB plans to host Africa, Asia and Latin America together but from my POV those communities are very different between them and this Latinx Empowering Proposal aims to keep building first and growing the connections between Latinx people and communities. This is needed before trying to create connections between other communities like Africa and Asia.

We need to strengthen our own connections before trying to build new ones.

That’s why I would encourage more support for this HUB instead of including us in the GM HUB

9 Likes

Great initiative. I attended the one in Bogotá and it was a key place to meet other Latinos.

I support the fact to have separate hubs. For example, if I am interested in knowing about the experiences of using SMS with blockchain as they do in Africa, I will go to their hub with the guarantee that I will get to know someone that has used that tech.

And that separate hub will also provide a place where other Africans can meet each other. The same happens in this Latino/a hub. As a Latino I feel very comfortable in speaking in my language and making new connections or strenghtening the ones I have, and I know they will be there.

Support this hub please.

7 Likes

From Ethereum México DVT we fully support this initiative and would like to complement offering different forms of content that cover topics on infrastructure, sustainability for communities and transparency.

We believe the work of ETH La Antorcha must be continued along with its plurality of communities from all over Latin America, as this is the best way to enrich our ecosystem.

11 Likes

From Ethereum Cinco de Mayo and Frutero Club We are happy to support this initiative and we can support with technical workshops and talks in Spanish or English, and ETHCDM can give some support to help organizing a hackathon

9 Likes

:unicorn: :fire: let’s go Eth La Antorcha!

2 Likes

This sounds great! Would you mind to list 2 or 3 subjects for the technical workshops? In that way we start brainstorming a possible agenda :writing_hand:t3:

It could be also possible that each Latinx country hosts / co-host (>1) the Hub during 2 - 4 hours per day and share its values, insights & knowledge. The idea is to make space for everyone as much as possible.

We can implement a common design thinking approach to collect and put this knowledge together.
We can use mirror, Notion or similars… there is a lot of cool things we can do!

Our biodiversity makes us a complex worth inspiring ecosystem. Let’s create values inspired on diversity as one of the Olympics + Paralympics values, Eth La Antorcha could become a friendly place for Latinx ethereans including expats who wants to share & connect!

3 Likes

4 Likes

An independent proposal to gather LATINXS in Bangkok could be LIT! I mean, we really would like a proposal autonomous and non-biased from entities and organizations that self-called as LATAM representatives, just LATAM communities excited to share their experiences and learn from SEA Communities.

BUT, this proposal could be persistent activity Cross-Devcon. This year is ETH Torch from Colombia (LATAM) to Bangkok(SEA). Next year could be from Bangkok(SEA) to ??

5 Likes

It’s time to connect the communities that embody the values of the infinite garden together.

Excited to see Latinamerican communities thriving in this space.

ETHMexico, ETH5 de Mayo, ReFi Medellín, and many more.

See you at Devcon! LATAM is back.

5 Likes

Thank you for the clarification - it is well noted, and we will consider this application as separate from any other existing ones.

Also, a quick update: We have extended the deadline to submit a community hub application by one week, to the 7th of September 2024 (AoE time). You can now expect to hear from us about the outcome of your proposal by mid-September.

Thank you again! In the meantime, if you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to me.

6 Likes

I am absolutely thrilled to share my excitement about this incredible proposal! ETH Bogotá and ETH Colombia team are committed to create meaningful conversations with Latam communities and ETH communities in this Devcon edition!:tada:

Uniting all Latam communities under one dynamic space is a game-changer for fostering collaboration, knowledge exchange, and regional integration within the Ethereum ecosystem. This hub will not only serve as a meeting point but as a vibrant showcase of how Ethereum is transforming our local environments across Latam :heart_on_fire:

5 Likes

It would be interesting to support the objective of creating a collaborative space where builders from Asia, Africa, and Latin America can come together to foster the adoption of Ethereum and develop solutions tailored to the contexts of the global majority. However, based on the feedback from the communities involved in this proposal, I believe that the best way to understand these contexts is by offering a more experiential cultural exchange, where the impact that blockchain technology could have on our societies can be more clearly demonstrated.

To create an authentic Latin American atmosphere, it’s crucial to include as many communities as possible that represent our diverse cultures across all countries in the region. This approach would better showcase our culture and, at the same time, help identify specific challenges that could be more effectively addressed with blockchain-based solutions.

The experience we aim to create with the Latinx Community Hub is that of a Latin American or “Latino” neighborhood in an Asian, African, or European country. We can only achieve this by having a dedicated space where our Latin American communities can express themselves freely and confidently. Regardless of the Community Hub, we need to work together to build mechanisms that facilitate cultural exchange and make the most of the opportunity Devcon 7 provides to connect.

@songyi , let’s schedule a meeting to work as a team and ensure our communities can interact with minimal friction. There are many ideas on the table, such as the ETH Torch proposal, which involves bringing Colombian coffee to facilitate cultural exchange. We know that West Asian cultures also appreciate coffee, and we want to leverage this cultural similarity to strengthen interpersonal connections between our communities.

Even though Devcon may already offer coffee, we want to ensure that all communities visiting the Latinx Community Hub can share a great experience. Additionally, other Latin American communities will contribute to enriching this space with so much cultural diversity that we’ll become a torch that carries the knowledge and experiences of Devcon 6 forward for Latin America. This invitation could potentially turn into a tradition that you, as West Asian communities, might continue for the next edition at Devcon 8.

2 Likes

@2thefinalfrontier2 Yes! super open to your idea. I’ve been messaging Juan (@x0xj4an) to arrange a call. Do you mind messaging me on TG @iamsonge so we can follow up on this quickly ? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hello there, I’m interested to join this meeting also! Can I DM you on TG?

2 Likes

I already wrote to you from @thef1nalfront1er

1 Like